We left Gardiner on Tuesday and drove north across Yellowstone to reach Red Lodge, Montana. The major event of the exit drive was a pass by some very impressive hot springs, like this one at Mammoth.
 |
| Earl inspects mineral salts deposits. |
 |
| The hot spring has built this colorful bluff over the centuries. |
 |
| Note the steam. The air had a chemical odor. |
 |
| The spring didn't kill these trees. They burned. |
 |
| I think I've enjoyed the rivers most of all on this trip. |
 |
| As we exited the park, along the Lamar river, we saw hundreds of buffalo. |
 |
| Some of the buffs were not herd people. |
 |
| Major peak along the Beartooth Highway. |
 |
| Note the altitude. |
 |
| The road got a bit bendy, too. |
 |
| We enjoyed the signs we saw in little towns. |
 |
| This was our accommodation in Red Lodge. It looks nicer than it was; I don't think much of "charming". |
 |
| On the road to Sheridan, WY, as the following photos are. |
 |
| Small town house. |
 |
| We went through 10 or 15 towns of 150 people or so. |
 |
| What is that critter? |
 |
Crazy Woman Saloon
|
Red Lodge was a pleasant surprise. A little town of about 17,000, it seemed a pleasant place to live, very neat and tidy and lots of personality on the 2- or 3-block main street. We left there about 9:30 and took the scenic route to Sheridan, staying off of the super slab as much as possible. Tonight we are in the Comfort Suites in Sheridan. I'm glad we're through with B and B's. I don't like them too much. We stay in 4 of them this trip. One was very nice, one was marginal and two were serious losers. They were all expensive. I'll take a motel 'bout every time.
Tomorrow, Rapid City. I hope to locate and photograph the two homes I had there in the 70s. We also plan to visit a missile launch control center that has been turned into a museum. I think it's
Delta capsule, where I pulled a few alerts in the early 70s.
Cheers
I'm really sad that your B&B experiences have been less than good; I've stayed in B&B's in Ireland and in Massachusetts and loved them all. But some of that was looking past inconveniences and into the pleasures of the particular company that ran the places.
ReplyDeleteThe signs are great! Of course, you know where you'd find me! Crazy Woman!
That hot steam - or hot springs, whatever it is - bluff makes me think of a hoary, hairy old wizard. Anthropomorphizing, no doubt.
I wish I was in Portland, OR, enjoying the best liberal civilization and accommodations around, but I do envy your travels and experiences on the way to and fro the 'great north'! Take care.
Haha, first of all in that one photo, I don't think, for once that Waylon wished to be held, kissed or hugged. Not by Earl, anyway. The photos, as always, are beautiful. The landscape is amazing. And not only have you guys seen mountains and rivers and glaciers, you have also seen some top-notch signage!
ReplyDeleteAlso I want to know what that critter is as well. I'm deciding elk. Or llama.