Thursday, August 7, 2014

Via Grand Coulee Dam......... to Mr. Rainier...to Seattle


We traveled from Spokane to Ellensburg, Washington to by way of the back roads and Grand Coolie Dam, which is at least 80 miles from the edge of anything. Lots and lots of wheat fields, and not much else. Which might be why the folks in some nameless small town we went through added a bit of whimsy to the scenery. After a night in Ellensburg, at a marginal motel, we pressed on to see Mt. Rainier Nation Park. It was beautiful.










One of the major engineering feats of the 20th Century. See here

After we left the dam, we traveled down the Columbia River for several hours. We saw many beautiful lakes.





Note the temperature (top right of the display)










This is the second wild fire we've seen.


We stayed in the Days Inn in Ellensburg, Wa. It was really basic.


























Here's the volcano. See more this



Entrance to Mt. Rainier NP






Kate liked this stream. It was 180 feet below the view point.








Picnic in the park




















That's a river in the middle of the gravel-filled gourge.





Waylon and Earl are glad to get out of the car in Seattle

TBT Day 12





2 comments:

  1. The picnic looks lovely and the pictures are absolutely gorgeous. Really, really beautiful, like I can smell the fresh crisp air. Fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those mountains and wild animals, big water abounding under big skies ... I'd want to stay and build a cabin. But 100 degrees?! Oof!

    ReplyDelete

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.