We had a
decent night at the Stork Nest Inn in Smithers, B.C., and I’m pleased to report
there was air-conditioning…..a tiny window unit circa 1950. As soon as the sun
went down, we shut the unit off because it was extraordinarily loud, and opened the window.
You know, somewhere after we entered Canada, we drove through a small town were
a sign instructed, “Set your watch back 20 years.” Right idea, poor
application: I think 40 years would be closer to the mark. However, in defense of the Stork Nest, I’d
have to say the breakfast was rather good, with eggs to order and a variety
other items to round the meal out.
We drove
north to Prince Rupert and the ferry to Alaska. The roads were very good, and
the scenery was just astounding. The road followed the river,
which I would say was in many places more than a half-mile wide. Our only
complaint was that despite countless warning signs, we saw no moose or elk or
deer or wolverines……..yes, there were two wolverine crossing signs. We saw some quaint things and lots of astounding scenery
| The Seven Sisters |
| Totem Poles |
| Bear Parade in Smithers |
[Later]
As I write
this, we’re aboard the Motor Vessel Taku.
We’ve been working at getting here since 4:30 AM, when we got our wakeup call
after a miserable night. Many motels and restaurants in British Columbia
maintain the fiction that air conditioning is not appropriate or necessary for
them. This place, The Inn on the Harbor, in Port Rupert, B.C., like the others, is wrong, wrong, wrong. I would guess the
temperature in our very small room didn’t go below 85 degrees at any time, and
that low point was about 4:30. The management did contribute one small table fan.
It was not a good night, but what does one expect for $149 (Canadian)?
Anyway, after
our wakeup call, we dressed and packed……it takes a while, considering all the
critical gear we have to drag in from the car every night, and then repack in
the morning…had coffee and a muffin and drove to the ferry slips. We got there
as directed, at 6:30 for a 9:30 departure. It was a long wait, but we finally
got loaded and left on time. The M/V Taku
is part of Alaska’s Marine Highway System. Alaska has more coastline than the
rest of the United States combined. [That’s what the brochure says, but I’m
thinking they mean only the lower 48. The islands that make up the state of
Hawaii have a powerful lot of coastline to contribute to any total.] Anyway,
more than half of Alaskan coastal cities are unreachable by conventional road.
In 1960, just after becoming a state, voters approved a bond issue to fund a
state-owned Marine Highway System that would connect those communities. There
are now nine ships that serve a 3500-mile route and 33 ports. The service
extends to villages in southeast Alaska as well as across the Gulf of Alaska to
Kodiak Island and all the way to the Aleutians.
The brochure
says that an estimated 400,000 passengers and 100,000 vehicles travel the
system annually. This ship is the Taku,
which is an Indian word for a strong cold wind coming off of a glacier. She entered
service in 1963, and was refurbished in 1981. It’s 352 feet long, 74 feet wide,
has 7 decks and a gross tonnage of 2,624. It has a service speed (I guess
that’s cursing speed) of 16.5 knots. It’s driven by two 4,000 HP diesel
engines. It’s designed to carry 370 passengers and about 60 vehicles of all
sizes and shapes. There are 44 cabins, and lots and lots of seating. Our snug
but adequate cabin has two bunks and toilet facilities including a shower. The
ship boasts a restaurant and movies, a bar and a store. It’s no cruise ship,
but it’s not uncomfortable……..so far. I’ll let you know more about that
tomorrow…..but I’ll bet I sleep better than last night.
| Our Cabin |
I laughed that you mentioned eggs at the Stork's Nest. Gorgeous pictures! And that's interesting about going back 40 years.
ReplyDeleteI had not made the connection, but I don't *think* they were stork eggs.
ReplyDeleteE
You really are starting to sound like time-travelers. Wish I could transport some of our weather to you: Despite readings in the high 70's, most people are wearing sweatshirts or light jackets outdoors because it just doesn't feel that warm (plus, a very pleasant and fairly constant cool breeze). It's luscious at night. Sorry - I'm sure you'll have your cool weather along on more of the trip.
ReplyDeleteThat's a fun little ladder to the top bunk in your cabin - how about a pic of you climbing it?
Here's a delightful read you might enjoy: This Life's Tempestuous Sea: Risks Survived and Lessons Learned While Growing Up and Growing Older (and Voicing Several Concerns for America and the World) [Kindle Edition]. It's only 3 bucks and has several good chapters on his adventures in Alaskan waters. OR, you can read the relevant chapters on google for free: http://books.google.com/books?id=leT2HbnbiWYC&pg=PA135&lpg=PA135&dq=Motor+Vessel+Taku&source=bl&ots=ABmoCNyBiH&sig=HSqXuKfQFS7fJ3qS03vPH0zQPH8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UeLxU-uCJevisAT894HgBA&ved=0CGgQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=Motor%20Vessel%20Taku&f=false
ReplyDelete