Sunday, August 17, 2014

Saturday in Juneau

We got off of the ferry on Friday afternoon, and did not much the rest of the day, although we did have dinner in the mediocre "Mexican" restaurant incorporated in the motel.  On Saturday, we hit the trifecta: we went to Fred Myer, we saw the Mendehall Glacier (see here) and Kate got her nails done. It was a cool day. Here are some pictures:





Spanning Salmon






















5 comments:

  1. Your photos of the glacier are breathtaking! I don't believe I've ever seen them captured with such vivid, intense colour! Got to save one of these for my desktop :)
    I say, you are looking rather stoic there at the end, with Waylon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I see a spawning salmon, my molecules ache to be a bear and snatch it up in my teeth. They look soooo delicious.
    Did you see anything about the salmon in the trees? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate's the photog. I take a picture from time to time, but not often.
      I don't know from salmon in the trees. What's that about?

      Delete
  3. Oh, it's about the bear harvesting the salmon by carrying them off into the riparian areas and leaving about half of each carcass behind. That feeds the soil and the trees, so much so, that tapping the trees reveals molecules of nitrogen from the salmon in the trees. Pretty neat, huh? Here's a short video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbveinprUDk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, those are just breathtaking pictures, as usual. Wow. I see Waylon is enjoying the scenery.

    ReplyDelete

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.