Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Fairbanks, Our Northernmost Point

Map

We left Healy about 9 this morning. It was an easy drive to Fairbanks, except for the usual large amount of construction. The scenery was somewhat different from what we've seen, somewhat more gentle mountains and rolling hills instead of the more grandiose views we've seen over the past couple of days.



Fairbanks is a frontier town of some 30,000 people. It's the first place I've seen in a long time that makes Rapid City, South Dakota of 40 years ago seem sophisticated, but it does. It's real basic. We had lunch at a Chinese restaurant in a suburb, North Pole.








 We're staying in a TraveLodge that Kate thinks used to be a prison. I think she might be right; Travel Advisor ranks it as #22 of 24 hotels in Fairbanks. Here's an odd notice on the on-line listing: Please Note: This is a seasonal property open from May 15th through September 15th annually. 










That note might explain a lot!

We're here at our northernmost point on this trip, something north of 64 degrees north latitude, and that's significant. The northwest angle of Minnesota is the northernmost point of the contiguous 48 states. It's at 49.27N 95.05 W. One of the reasons we came this far north is that doing so got us far enough north that we've got a decent shot at seeing the northern lights, one of my bucket list items. The prediction for aurora activity is low over the next several days, so cross your fingers for us. Forecast



We had the car's oil changed for the second time since we left home. I think this one will get us back home. Stay tuned for our next exciting adventure!

2 comments:

  1. These pictures confuse me! Is Universal Welding Christmas staffed by elves, who live in the little Christmas houses? I have to assume yes.

    I think you should just stay there until you see those lights. You've got two more weeks until the place closes! Just get out by September 16, at which point the hotel becomes a prison until May 14.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Wendy ... if the northern lights are on your bucket list, stick around and have a better chance to see them. (BTW, that's a funny thought, Wendy, that the place becomes a prison again at the end of the season!)

    After viewing your photos of the land, it suddenly makes sense how the place got its name. The banks are fair, indeed. Not seeing any more wildlife yet? No caribou out and about, or have they migrated further north for now?

    ReplyDelete

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.