We drove north for several hours to enter Denali National Park. It's like nothing I've ever seen. It's less rugged than a lot of what we've seen here in Alaska, but the vistas seem to go on forever. One looks out across vast distances covered with low-growing plants and odd little evergreen trees........Break here. I'm going to look up hemlock and alder..... Yep, it was hemlock we've been seeing so much of.
At one point today, we passed a very odd structure. It was Igloo City. Apparently, the place was built as a hotel about 40 years ago, but couldn't meet whatever building codes existed, and never opened. It is now a world-class eyesore, reputedly visible from 30,000 feet. It's for sale. See more at IglooCity.
![]() |
| Igloo City |
| I have no idea what they're doing. |
| Wow! |
Waylon enjoying our $150@ night digs.
| View from our window. |
And the quiet is deafening. I love it.
Tomorrow........Lions and tigers and bears!(Kate says: But we have to get up at 0430 to leave here at 0530 to get on the bus to see them. Road deconstruction will add about 30 minutes to our drive to the park.)


Lovely, lovely, lovely. Waylon does seem to be enjoying his digs and I'm glad you got the points back and a still usable computer!
ReplyDeleteI think those people in that one picture are probably looking for a dead body. Maybe just don't go in that particular field right now.
Everything looks gorgeous, though! So glad you're having fun and the pictures are just breathtaking. Even the igloo thing, although breathtaking for different reasons.