Saturday, August 16, 2014

August in Juneau

Our 30 hours or so on the ferry were kinda fun. We had brought picnic sorts of things to eat while on the boat, and there was a restaurant that served decent food for prices that weren't unreasonable, considering Alaskan prices.
The scenery was wonderful, when we could see through the fog and the rain...there was a fair amount of that.

An Alaskan Ferry (not ours)

Our first stop was in Ketchikan, the south easternmost city in Alaska. Its population of 8,000 makes it the sixth-most populous city in the state. 

Cruise Ships




We spent an hour or two in Ketchikan, and I was impressed with the number of float planes I saw taking off and departing while we were there. I didn't count them, but it was one every 10 minutes or so.
Waylon and Earl on the bunk ladder
We spent a quiet night on the boat, but Kate took a half-tumble coming down the ladder. She banged up her arm and got a bump on her butt, but was unharmed otherwise. I would point out here that I wanted to take the upper berth, but she insisted I couldn't do it. Goes to show, I guess.
The passengers on the ferry were an interesting lot. There were a considerable number of folks who in the passenger spaces, and a considerable number of them "camped out" in the lounge, camped out with sleeping bags and air mattresses. I wasn't too surprised when we saw 20-something men doing that, but the occasional middle-aged woman who did so made me look twice. 

We got into Juneau about 3:00 on Friday. Juneau is the state capital, and a city of about 32,000 souls. It is not accessible by road. If you're going to go to Juneau, you get there by air or by water. The hotel, a . Travelodge, is adequate. There is no breakfast included with the room, but the integral Mexican restaurant does give a 15% discount on meals to hotel guests. We ate dinner there the night we arrived; it was undistinguished, but I didn't get sick. That's the acid test.

It's cool and rainy here, and the locals say it rains a lot. We'll see. Tomorrow, we're going to visit the Mendenhall Glacier.

My copy of Microsoft Street and Trips has become corrupted and won't run. I miss being able to post the little maps that track our progress. I'll see if I can find a google substitute.

Cheers..........

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Kate's okay! Your room looks cool and the scenery is gorgeous! Have you seen Sarah Palin yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we haven't seen Sarah, but just an hour ago, we were passed on the highway by a pickup truck with Alaska plate 000001! Wonder who that was.

    ReplyDelete

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.