Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Sioux Empire

Tonight, we're in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in the heart of the Sioux Empire, an area that runs from somewhere in Missouri to north of North Dakota. It's been a moderate drive, just under 400 miles from Independence, Missouri. The drive north has been pretty dull, although rather pretty; the only interesting item was the loess hills. They're not exciting, but interesting. Apparently, the only other place in the world they exist is in China. See more about loess hills here. I'm pleased to report that our loaded Highlander turned 25.2 MPG yesterday at my normal cruising speed of 65 MPH. Since the speed limits in this part of the country are higher, I'll pick up the pace a bit tomorow enroute to Bismark, ND.

There is a second interesting item today: This evening was the first time (this trip) that we've ordered pizza....and no lunches at BurgerKing so far.

TBT Day 5
Oh, yes......there was one other thing. At Sioux City, on a very large bluff overlooking the Missouri, we saw Sergeant Floyd's Monument:

Sergeant Charles Floyd was the only person to die during the Lewis and Clark expedition....the only member of the Corps of Discovery as the group was called. It is a very impressive monument. Learn more here:Floyd Monument

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.