Thursday, July 31, 2014

North........to Bismark

Today was sorta dull, and sorta fun. We drove about 400 miles north and west to Bismark, North Dakota, passing seemingly endless fields of corn, hay, soybeans and sunflowers. It was all mellow and just this side of dull. The high point was driving through the crossroads of Strasburg, ND, birthplace of Lawrence Welk. Apparently, he didn't much like it there, left as soon as he could, and never came back. Sort of like me and Haynesville. But that's another story. More about Lawrence here: The Welk Place.

That's about it for today.
TBT Day 6
Kate Says:

Saw many ducklings in the large ponds/small lakes we passed. Also a good deal of road construction. We were not on the Interstate most of the day. Two-lanes thru most of SD and ND. 

Very nice motel, again. This is the last of our Choice Hotels (Comfort Inn/Suites, etc) for a while. We've had lovely large, modern rooms so far. Tomorrow, in Malta, MT, we are at the Maltana Motel (19 rooms, great reviews on TripAdvisor) then we begin our stays at the Wyndham chains (Super 8, Days Inn, TravelLodge, etc). Will let you know how they are. 

So far it's a great trip. More later.

K


2 comments:

  1. Wow, I go away for a few days and you two are nearly all the way across the country already! It's taken me half an hour just to catch up with your blog entries and to savor the links to additional information (I really like that; can't help wondering about Lawrence Welk and his aversion to being back at the old homestead).

    The hair museum is whacky! I suppose Leila could perform exorcisms with the Virgin Mary's hairs ... (my mind is warping at the thought of these follicle follies).

    I envy your leisure to travel by car and take in so much local history (and food) as you go. It seems way more fun than taking an RV or (definitely) flying. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are nearing the one week mark. It has been fun following your journey. You have timed your stop in Seattle quite nicely. This weekend is Seafair hydroplane races on Lake Washington and the Blue Angels perform both Saturday and Sunday so it is a tad on the insane side up here. Looking forward to seeing you next week. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.