Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Independence and Kansas City

We've spent the past two days seeing some of the sights in Independence and Kansas City. The two towns are not far apart, about a 20-minute drive. It's been a lot of fun. We started yesterday by visiting the Truman Library. It's an interesting place, with lots of material on the various monumental decisions Truman had to deal with.......the atomic bomb in Japan, national transition to peace time, inflation, Korea, the Red Scare, Senator McCarthy's insanity, and the re-election campaign of 1948........he did all of that and did it very well, never losing sight of the fact that he was just a man trying to do his job as he saw it. And when it was all over, he went back home from Washington, D.C. to Independence, and lived a rather quiet and simple life. I consider him a remarkable man and an outstanding President. I have to wish he were around these days.
Truman Library


Kate and Harry

Truman Grave Site
The life-long Truman Home
The Truman home, which had been Bess' childhood home, and their home after Harry and Bess married, was, and is today, very simple. It's comfortable, and fit for a family. The only sign that a former President lived there was a set of White House china in a corner cabinet. More typical of the home was a dish of toy marbles, a child's marbles, that the National Park Service had fished out of the basement furnace after Margret, their daughter, told the NPS about one of her children dropping them down the furnace duct work when he was five years old. Trust me, it looks like your grandmother's house.

Standards placed along Truman's many walking routes

Random view downtown Independence
Downtown Independence
Hair stuff at the Hair Museum


Kate and Leila
More on Leila's Hair Museum

After Leila's place, long on our bucket list, we headed a bit further west to KC.
View of downtown Kansas City
Union Station of Kansas City
2nd Largest Train Station in US
Interior of Union Station
The World War Memorial
Kansas City is a fine town, rather clean and modern. We liked it. It wasn't always that way. In the '30s, it was a rough and ready place, a "wide open" town. Here's a taste of what that might have been like: Kansas City Shoot'em up.

OK, it's getting late, and we've got miles to go tomorrow. Stay in touch now.
E

Kate Says:

Leila and her museum were fascinating. The woman is really into hair! She also has in the museum 2 (that's right, 2) pieces of hair from the Virgin Mary, and 2 pieces of the "True Cross". There are certificates of authenticity from Cardinals and everything. She even has hair from Mary's mom. Who Knew?

Also, I wanted to see Union Station for several reasons. One is because I am fascinated by the story of Fred Harvey and his chain of restaurants and hotels.I learned the whole story of Fred from a book about him that Uncle Markie sent us. Thanks Markie. 

I loved everything about our stay here, except for the hordes of young boxers and softball players that have taken over the hotel because of national tournaments in the area.

Last night was all-you-can-eat ribs at the Rib Crib next door. Quite good. The beans (sweet and smokey) side dish was especially good.

On to Sioux Falls today, then Malta, MT, then  Cut Bank and Glacier NP. We get to Seattle on August 6.

K.
















2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I cracked up over the TWO pieces of the One True Cross and TWO pieces of Mary's hair. Why she doesn't have two of Mary's mom? What's up with that? And is a piece in this case multiple strands or a single hair? Also I love love love that Cardinals (Not the pope, for example) are in charge of distributing pieces of the True Cross and they want them to be in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and that's a nice picture of Kate and Harry and Union Station looks very, very cool. .

    ReplyDelete

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.