We continue to wrap things up to get ready for "The Big Trip". Today, Kate and Wendy and I "jarred up" 16 quarts of dill pickles we'd fermented in our anaerobic crocks. The two quart jars in the picture are a sample. The larger glass jars behind the quart jars are gallon crocks of "East Side Sours", a rare and delicious delicacy. They won't be ready before we leave, but Kate has instructed Wendy on how to deal with them.
Today, we also cleaned and prepped for storage about 30 pounds of shallots that I have grown this year. Kate says that at grocery store prices, that's about $100 worth of shallots. I hope that averages in to reduce the price of the $50 per pound tomatoes we grow here at Frog Hollow Farm.
I'm certain I've seen this post before ... am I hopelessly delusional already? I was hoping to save that stage for a later time! At any rate, it reminds me of the delicious pickle condiments you shared with me last year - they're nearly gone now, and I've savored every bite. There were no 'East Side Sours' among my treats, so would like to request a tad bit of that sample whenever allotments permit.
ReplyDeleteI leave soon for KY, but will be keeping an eye on your travels!
Update: The pickle crocks have been burped!
ReplyDelete