Kate and I are in Santa Fe. The trip was uneventful, but
long—we agreed that we tend to forget just how long it is between trips. The
first day we went as far as O’Fallon, MO, just shy of St. Louis, then on to
Tulsa the next day. The penultimate night we sheltered in Amarillo, TX, and
finally made it here on Saturday. As part of our travels, we decided we needed
to see some new sights. We’ve seen the Arch on the Mississippi many
times,
and the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo.
There’s not much in the
landmark/sightseeing inventory around Tulsa; all in all, we need to find a new
route. I’m going to work on that, but it’s not easy since my venerable
Microsoft Streets and Trips program won’t
run on this machine. It, the program, reports a licensing error, although it’s
a legal copy. Since Microsoft doesn’t support the program anymore, I’m trying
to learn to use a new travel planning program, but it’s a struggle. Ah, well,
some people have real problems.
We’re enjoying our stay in Santa Fe, one of our favorite
places to visit. We’re staying at Otra
Vez, which, I’m told means “Another Time”.
We’re up there on the
second floor, on the right side of the second floor patio. The place isn’t
fancy, but it’s pretty comfortable, and right in the heart of the old town. We’ve
got a two-bedroom unit, so we have plenty of room to spread out, and we do
that, boy, do we do that. I’m reminded of our recent stay in New Orleans, at a
timeshare we own that’s right in the French Quarter. It is wonderfully located,
but isn’t especially comfortable. We had a good time there: Kate took a couple
of cooking classes there……Crab and corn
bisque, Shrimp Creole and Bananas,
Foster, We visited the World War II museum See Museum
The WWII museum has become rather amusement park-oriented over the
years. There are several experiences
that clearly belong further south at Disney World. There’s a train ride and
submarine mission (the infamous Tang, which destroyed itself (picture) and a
very flashy 4D (movie, actors, narration, moving props and simulated
explosions) production called Beyond All Boundaries. It’s quite the deal. If
you’ve never been there, you should go. If you have been there, you should go
again: We all should remember what it cost to stop the evil that the
dictatorships of the 30s and 40 let loose on the world.
We also visited Marti Gras World See World......Lots of Big Stuff
The only real downside to the trip was the train trip on
each end of the visit. We had driven to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and left our travel-stained
Toyota Highlander at a motel there, and entrained to New Orleans…….about two
hours late. On the return leg, our experience was much the same. Amtrak is
barely functional these days, and after the Republicans get through with it, it
will probably vanish, or maybe be reduced to a couple of hand-cranked handcars
that you see in movies set in the past.
Anyway, back to New Mexico, one of the very few states to be
carried by Clinton, and to Santa Fe, about the most “progressive” city I know
of. They’re very concerned with handicapped access to businesses; cars, like
ours, with handicapped-labeled plates, can park damned near anywhere they want
to, free. Lots of panhandlers and Indian
dancers... there are dishes of water set out for pets in front of many businesses,
and a collection of rather eccentric people. Often, I can’t tell whether
they’re hipsters or just bums. The city celebrated its 400th
birthday several years ago, but it’s the younger brother, or is that sister? to
a place an hour’s drive to the north, Espanola, (established 1598) which claims
to be the oldest city in New Mexico, or indeed, anywhere in New Spain, the vast
area of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Nevada that we stole from Mexico as a
result of the Mexican America war of 1848. See War President Elect Trump would have liked that, I think.
Espanola is a little town of about 10,000 souls and is rated
by the FBI as the most dangerous town in New Mexico. We’re planning to drive up
there today, to look around, do some shopping, and have lunch at Angelina’s,
See Angelina's
a wonderful little local restaurant with the best carne adovada, I’ve ever
eaten.
A couple of days ago, we drove to the tiny little town of Cerrillos (See Cerrillos). It has about three
streets, a couple of bars and a church with a dead tree out front re-purposed and painted to
represent a figure of Christ. You don’t see that everywhere you go.
We left Cerrillos after dragging main street a couple of times and drove just a few miles
further to reach the funky little art colony of Madrid…locally, that’s
pronounced with an accent on the front end-- It’s not that city in Spain. In
Ma’drid, there is a large collection of arty shops, handicraft shops, biker
bars, and alleged artists working in metal, mud, stone and any other real or
imagined medium. See Madrid
Kate took a cooking class here on Thursday (I took the car
in for an oil change.) In her class, they made Mac and cheese with green
peppers, creamy tortilla soup, coconut caramel flan and citrus-cumin-based Mojo sauce, for vegetables. I’m sure it was time well spent
and that I’ll harvest the benefit of it down the road.
Yesterday (Saturday 12 November) we sat out to visit one of the museums at Los Alamos,
the birth place of the Atomic Age and cradle of the atomic bomb. The museum was
closed, so we headed for Angelina’s in Espanola for lunch. The crowd was
overflowing into the parking lot, so we didn’t even stop—we had lunch at
Lottaburger, an area burger chain, where we had green chili cheese burgers and chocolate
shakes. It was a good wrap-up for a day that was nothing like we planned for it
to be. Stay tuned for our next exciting adventure.










Ah, what fond memories I have of sharing your generous hospitality in Santa Fe, lo those many (too many) years ago.
ReplyDeleteYep, me too, re 'the Arch'. Last time I was there, I almost had a vertigo experience when the guide said "and if we were to fall straight over, we would land [there]. I think he pointed to somewhere around ? I'm sorry, but all I can remember is a queasy feeling while looking way down at whatever the site was he pointed out. Courthouse? I really don't remember.
Is the Otra Vez where you were when I visited? I recall it as a rather comfortable and pleasant accommodation, though I'm not used to the creature comforts that are more likely in your own experiences.
Kate's cooking classes sound delicious. All I remember about food in Santa Fe is the (I think) carne adovada we had somewhere in a more rural area outside of SF. I just know it wasn't enchiladas, burritos, or tacos. Whatever it was, it was GOOOOD.
Amen to the Amtrak devolution, which, IMHO, has been clear for a long time now. Love the old-time photo :) Gag on Trump :(
I would LOVE to visit Los Alamos and all of its museums. I remember attending a speech at MAFB by Edward Teller (Dr. Strangelove) mid-1990s sometime, maybe '94?). Damn my rotting memory!
Bottom line, thank you for sharing your adventures and for stirring old memories of good times.
Very cool post! Great pictures, as always. Glad to hear you both are having fun and seeing the sites, balanced with some relaxation.
ReplyDelete