The last couple of days in Santa Fe, we visited the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, which I found not so great. I've heard of the artist ever since I can remember, and was rather disappointed by the rather limited number of her works on display, and rather annoyed by the way the museum felt that every mark she'd left on a pen wiper or a table napkin needed to be mounted and explained to me. It took us about an hour to tour the place, and wouldn't have taken that long if we'd not had to dodge hordes of 8-year old school kids. I don't plan to visit the place again, although Kate enjoyed the gift shop.
Now, in case you're not familiar with the hole of holy dirt, or is that Holy Dirt?. Either way, it has to do with a glowing cross found sticking up from the ground about 200 years ago.....and the rest is history. You can learn the whole, official story at Church. Put me down as skeptical. Besides that, the hole looked to me as though it had been recently refilled with a bag of playground sand from Lowe's.
Anyway, we visited the place. It has been cleaned up a lot since we were there a number of years ago, and much of the more modern building right around the church is related to relieving tourists who have more money than they want to carry. There are lots more opportunities for that now........and did I mention that the place is now a world pilgrimage site and if you go there you can get an "indulgence". I thought indulgences were a thing of the past, but they aren't, and now, you, too, can get a free trip to heaven. Read all about it at Indulgence. I suppose that a good thing, but they wouldn't approve of it in Haynesville, my ancestral home.
We expect to get home Tuesday, and we're looking forward to it, then we expect not to travel until February. That will be something of a change, but we're looking forward to it. Besides, the chicken house needs painting.
Cheers
E


No comments:
Post a Comment
Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.