Kate and I have been in the Berkshires for several days now, and will be heading home tomorrow.
It has been a low-key adventure, even considering how very low-key our adventures often are.
We've been staying at the Wyndham Bentley Brook, outside the little town-village-hamlet-whatever of Hancock, Massachusetts. The area is really lovely, mostly genuinely rural, not the fake rural that you sometimes see in areas like this.
We did manage to get out of our pajamas and into the car once. We visited the Norman Rockwell Museum, and it was worth the effort. I'm sure you all know Mr. Rockwell was the top illustrator of the 20th Century, so I won't go into his history. If you want to know about him, check this out:
NR
A visit to the museum is worth the trip. It was a pleasant drive through the woods and the hills to Stockbridge, the small town where he lived and worked for the last 20 years or so of his life. We also had lunch in town, at a place called, appropriately enough, The Main Street Cafe. The sandwiches were good, and the place sits on main street. It was fun.
 |
| The Museum |
 |
| His studio and workshop |
 |
| Display of actual covers of the Saturday Evening Post |
 |
| Same as above |
 |
| The first of the Willie Gillis covers |
 |
| Example of oil pictures used to produce covers |
 |
| Local Atmosphere |
 |
| More of above |
 |
| Wyndham's Bentley Brook |
 |
| Interior of unit |
It's a nice area. I'm sure that goes double if you're coming out of any of the many seriously congested areas of the northeastern US. I can see why folks like this area.
We're headed back home tomorrow, to catch our breath and wash our socks before turning southeast again to go to a meeting at Hilton Head. Stay tuned....
LOVE you blog - the wonderful pictures and the great adventures (the kind of adventures Bud and I would enjoy!) THANKS for sharing!
ReplyDelete