Friday, May 15, 2015

Here we are in New England

We've made it to Rhode Island, despite the kamikaze drivers of New York and Massachusetts. Really, they're among the worst I've ever seen, and I've traveled all over the world and have driven in Great Britain, several countries in Europe and in a couple in Asia. As a group, drivers in the northeastern US are BAD. I think it has to do with the established fact that congestion creates an inclination towards aggression, and there is lots of congestion here. Anyway, Kate and I are on guard and alert. So far, so good.

We're staying at a Wyndham resort, the Newport Overlook, and it's a decent place, although as often happens, if a picture is worth a thousand words, many of those words are less than the whole truth.





All of the pictures represent the resort, and all of those views are available. However, the particular unit we're in is the one behind the blue umbrella in the bottom picture. We don't have those gorgeous views in the other photos. We do have a wonderful view of the very large bridge that ties this little island to what passes for the Rhode Island mainland and the city of Newport...more about that tomorrow. For now, here is the question of the day: What are these trees? We want to get one or more. If you can name the trees, please tell me.


This was going on as we checked in yesterday. It's the Volvo World Race, and is a local wonder. We talked to, no, we listened to, a local sailing fan who told us all about everything. He was pretty excited about it. You can learn more about it here:Race .

Here's the trip so far.

Here's a picture of that bridge I mentioned. It's just a stone's throw from our unit, and connects Jamestown to Newport across the bay.



This is not a bridge; it's just a pretty photo of Narragansett Bay, outside our window, sort of.

See you next time

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that a redbud tree? They're all over the south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad! It seems this may be an example of the Kwanza Cherry Tree.

    ReplyDelete

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.