Today I wrote a letter to the senior senator from the state of Kentucky, one Mitch McConnell, Senate Majority leader. I thought it rather good, so here it is.
319
Adams Lane
Richmond,
KY 40475
10
March, 2015
The
Honorable Mitch McConnell
317
Russell Senate Office Building
Washington,
DC 20510-1702
My Dear Senator McConnell
Sir, you must think I’m stupid. That’s the only
conclusion I can draw from your letter of 20 January in which you tell me that
allowing rich men and political action groups to contribute millions of dollars
to political causes and candidates is an exercise in freedom of speech. That’s
like saying that a piccolo player and a person using a steam calliope have an
equal opportunity to be heard. It’s a ludicrous position to take.
Money is not speech, sir. Money is money and power and ability to corrupt and coerce people
in or aspiring to public office. You should be at the forefront of an effort to
change the law to squelch the results of McCutcheon v. FEC, and I call upon you to do that little
thing, in the interests of our republic.
Sincerely yours,
[Signed]
Carroll E. Gowins, LtCol, USAF (Ret) and not stupid
Kate wanted me to make sure there was nothing in the letter that seemed like a threat. I'm pretty sure I'm safe there.I didn't even say I thought HE was stupid, and he's not. But he is completely unprincipled.......that's clear to me. Tomorrow I hope to write to him about the nearly treasonous letter that came out of the Republicans in the Senate. But that's for tomorrow. Oh, and I'm not foolish enought to think that my letters to the man will change anything about how he "governs". They just make be feel better.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.