Sunday, February 22, 2015

Kentucky Looks Like Boston

Kate wrote this a couple of days ago:


Hi Gang,

We have had about 18” of snow in the last 3 days. Our normal annual snowfall is just 15” and we’ve only seen that much a couple of years since we’ve been here. We are basically trapped. Our driveway is about 400 feet long and no one here plans to shovel it any time soon. The county snowplow made it out here yesterday, but it has snowed about 3 more inches since then. Since the high temp tomorrow is forecast at 2 degrees (yes, that’s 2, not 20) and the low should be about MINUS 15, I don’t expect it to melt any time soon.

Good thing my Mormon heritage pantry is well stocked. With that and our 3 freezers, we won’t starve. Unfortunately, I delayed buying the stuff for Eric’s birthday dinner. He requested steak and apple pie. Well, there’s no going to the store now, so it’s pork chops, homemade kimchee, and some sort of cake. I’m going to make a fig and walnut yeast bread today, so that should keep me busy.

Wendy is keeping the bird feeders full and every bird in central Kentucky knows it.

I’m beginning to feel a little housebound, but we have several thousand movies on DVD, about 20 of the Great Courses DVDs, and over 2000 real books and 50,000 ebooks. Our satellite TV went out for about 24 hours when snow covered the dish, but the sunshine and wind yesterday cleared it. I think we will be OK for another few days.

The Great Courses are really interesting. Right now we are watching Everyday Life in Ancient Times, and Neurobiology and how it determines individualism. Both are really fascinating, altho the Neurobiology is intimidating at times.

We hope you are all well. Stay in touch. Photos attached.

Love to all,
Kate, Eric, and Wendy








No comments:

Post a Comment

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.