Friday, January 22, 2016

Bucky Balls and Beaver Bits

Kate and I are in San Antonio, Texas, staying at the Wyndham Riverside, and are pleased to have Jennifer spending some time with us. We got into Port Neches, Texas (see map) on Thursday and headed to San Antonio today, traveling virtually the entire distance on Interstate 10 as it ran west past miles upon miles of oil- and gas-related production, processing and transporting facilities. The trip reminded me of a scene from either a science-fiction movie about an advanced civilization, or a WWII-era “arsenal of Democracy” newsreel . . . not sure which.
Port Neches is at "4"

Possibly the most memorable thing about the drive is that it took a really long time to get through Houston. It's the fourth-largest city in the US these days, and took almost an hour to drive past on the Interstate at speeds of 70+ miles per hour. It's a big, big town. 

While the drive here was rather dull and desolate (most of Texas is pretty ugly, in my opinion), it was enlivened by our introduction to a singular roadside attraction, “Buc-ee’s”:
 

Buc-ee’s is a convenience store chain serving central and southern Texas, and it is, if not unique, at least unusual. It sells everything imaginable, as well as claiming in each of its several locations, hundreds of gas pumps and parking spaces, and no big trucks allowed. The chain also claims the cleanest restrooms in Texas. The one I checked out was a winner! 
Buc-ee's is known for posting billboards by Texas interstate highways with simple and humorous slogans.
  • "If It Harms Beavers, We're Against It!"
  • "Clean Restrooms, We Guaranpee It"
  • "It's A Beaver!"
  • "Restrooms So Clean, We Leave Mints on the Urinals"
  • "Ice, Beer, Jerky: The 3 Food Groups"
  • "The Top Two Reasons to Stop at Buc-ee's: #1 and #2"
  • "A Bigger Kolache I Never Sausage a Thing"
  • "Don't worry, P happy"
  • "Epic Flush"
  • "Don't stay thirsty my friends."
  • "Worth the Wait"
  • "The Eyes of Buc-ee's Are Upon You"
  • "Buy a gift, leave a gift."
And, it was in Buc-ee's that I learned about the battle of Gonzales and the "come and take it cannon" 
See Battle of Gonzales -- the first shot of the Texas revolution. Neat stuff.

 












 Here's a picture of Jenny at Buc-ee's, just 'cause I'm her daddy and I love her. Cute, huh? She gets that from her mother.


 That's all for tonight; I'm tired.
Cheers

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer, you look great! And I'm glad you introduced Dad and Kate to Buc-ees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And oh, hey. I can't believe you guys don't know about the Battle of Gonzales! If you have any more Texas history learnings to do I will be happy to assist.

    I miss Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And oh, hey. I can't believe you guys don't know about the Battle of Gonzales! If you have any more Texas history learnings to do I will be happy to assist.

    I miss Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great trip! I never knew that Texas was authorized to split up into separate states - fascinating. And Buc-ees looks like a fun place to browse for funny souvenirs. They certainly have a great sense of humor about their restrooms.

    Jennifer looks terrific! I'm glad you are all getting to travel together.

    I remember the last time I drove across Texas. When I finally got to the other side of Houston, I pulled over for a six-pack and a National Enquirer, just to unjangle my nerves. Of course, that was 40 years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Since I've opened up the blog, I'm going to review comments before I let them go public.